tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kris Schneider <kschnei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Terminating Timer Thread Gracefully
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:59:31 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Terence M. Bandoian [mailto:terence@tmbsw.com]
>> Subject: Terminating Timer Thread Gracefully
>
>> Finally, in contextDestroyed, I inserted a call to
>> Thread.sleep after canceling the timer and the error
>> message disappeared.
>
> You should be able to do a Thread.join() using the timer's Thread object rather than
sleeping.

But Timer doesn't expose its thread. An alternative would be use
something like Executors.newSingleThreadScheduledExecutor() to get a
ScheduledExecutorService. The executor can be used to schedule a
Runnable with a fixed rate or delay. When the context is destroyed,
shutdown the executor and await its termination.

--
Kris Schneider