tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Youngstrom <you...@gmail.com>
Subject Support for a jarsToInclude property?
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:49:01 GMT
I'm working with Tomcat 7 using web xml fragements and Servlet annotations.
 When metadata-complete="false" startup time is bad.  It can be improved by
excluding jars using tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip.  This is
great except now everytime I add a jar I need to add it to this list to keep
my startup time good.  I also want to be very careful about what jars are
adding configuration to my servlet container.  I would like to be able to
selectively allow these jars to be involved in scanning and then disable all
other jars.

It would seem that for my use case adding
a  tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToInclude property would be very
useful.  Then I could do something like:

 tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip=*.jar
 tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToInclude=spring-web*.jar,some-other*.jar

Or if there is a collection of jars with a similar pattern that I know don't
need to be scanned except for maybe one or two I can do something like:

 tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip=spring-*.jar
 tomcat.util.scan.DefaultJarScanner.jarsToInclude=spring-web*.jar

Included jars would take precedence over skipped jars.

Thoughts?  I'd be happy to provide a patch if others think such a feature
would be useful?

Mike