tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ian Marsh <>
Subject Re: Upgrading from Tomcat 7.0.8 to 7.0.10 and higher causes Old Generation memory problems
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:09:00 GMT
Bugger thanks.

I looked at this but, when I did, I simply compared the two web.xml
files between Tomcat-7.0.8 and Tomcat-7.0.10 to see if a specific
setting for development mode was used differently, but the two files
were exactly the same, with no development mode setting mentioned.
Which means they are both running in development mode, but with
different behaviours, as I have only just seen that the default
setting for it is "true".

I will try running Tomcat-7.0.10 with development mode set as false to
see if this fixes it.

Thanks again, sorry for such an oversight.

On 29 July 2011 12:27, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
> On 29/07/2011 09:53, Ian Marsh wrote:
>> Ok thanks... so here's the trace of the 3 biggest
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper objects.
>> I'm just showing the path of the objects that retain the biggest sizes
>> at each nested level to save from overkill on detail. There are
>> references to parent objects at some levels which show a larger
>> retained size but I expect that's normal. If it would be useful to see
>> all nested objects at each level, no problem, but here's a first
>> look...
>> 1)
>> + org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper (1,608,752)
>> =+ ctxt  org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext (1,602,384)
>> ==+ jspCompiler  org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler (1,601,032)
>> ===+ pageNodes  org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes (1,600,952)
> Which takes us back to my comment of almost a week ago. You have
> development mode enabled which retains the pageNodes for improved error
> messages. Disable development mode and the memory usage should fall.
> I don't recall any changes to this code bewteen 7.0.8 and 7.0.10 but to
> be sure, I have double checked that disabling development mode does
> indeed have the desired effect.
> To fix this:
> - edit $CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml
> - find the definition for the servlet named "jsp"
> - add the following init parameter
>        <init-param>
>            <param-name>development</param-name>
>            <param-value>false</param-value>
>        </init-param>
> Mark
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message