tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Uploading large files and session timeout
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 21:09:22 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Uploading large files and session timeout

> The do this cleanly, the servlet would need to call
> HttpSession.getMaxInactiveInterval() at the beginning,
> to save the existing value, then call
> HttpSession.setMaxInactiveInterval() to set a new one
> for the duration of the transfer, then process the upload,
> then at the end call HttpSession.setMaxInactiveInterval()
> to reset the old value, right ?

Correct, but slightly more complicated due to the previously undisclosed possibility of concurrent
uploads associated with a single session.

> Since the "session expiration" is determined in function of
> the MaxInactiveInterval and the lastAccessTime, and since
> Tomcat has no way to know at the beginning of a request, how
> long this request will take to process, I would think that the
> lastAccessTime would be updated *at the end* of a request, not
> at the beginning.

Tomcat 7 (which is not what the OP is using) has these system properties to control session
timeout behavior:

StandardHostValve.ACCESS_SESSION
StandardSession.ACTIVITY_CHECK
StandardSession.LAST_ACCESS_AT_START

(Determining the actions taken for each property setting is left as an exercise for the Tomcat
documentation reader.)

Tomcat 6 uses only the ACTIVITY_CHECK property, and session expiration is based only on when
the most recent request arrived - as required by the spec.  The properties in Tomcat 7 appear
to have been added as workarounds for the shortcomings of the spec that you have pointed out.

 - Chuck