tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7 Embedded: Manager
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 17:18:07 GMT
> From: Dark Before Dawn [mailto:dark.before.dawn@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 Embedded: Manager

> i guess the problem is that the manager-servlet's context is
> "mounted" at root

I think right there we have a conceptual problem, or at least a terminology one.  Webapps
aren't "mounted" in the sense things are in httpd; every webapp in a servlet container is
independent of the other webapps, and each webapp has _one_ unique URI path to select the
webapp; normally, the path is also used as the deployment location (docBase, in Tomcat terminology).
 The exception is the default webapp, which must be deployed as ROOT - case sensitive - in
Tomcat, and has an empty path; it is selected only when no other webapp paths can be matched
to the request URI.

Servlet mappings exist _within_ a webapp, and do not include the webapp path, so that the
same webapp can be deployed under different paths as needed without changing the deployment
descriptor.  Consequently, mappings for servlets within the manager webapp are of the form
"/html/*" and "/text/*" rather than "/manager/html/*" and "/manager/text/*".

 - Chuck