tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Miller" <millebi.subscripti...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: tc 7 out-of-box won't run localhost issue on 8005 a vulnerability?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:09:05 GMT
Have a good look at the /etc/hosts.conf file, it needs to contain something like "order hosts,
bind"
(AIX=netsvc.conf). If that is misconfigured then you will have exactly the problems you're
describing. I found this exact behaviour on an AIX system that was misconfigured. Keep working
on
the networking configuration until ping for localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1 and nothing else.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Eggers [mailto:its_toasted@yahoo.com]
Sent: July 12, 2011 12:30 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: tc 7 out-of-box won't run localhost issue on 8005 a vulnerability?

> From: André Warnier

> David Brown wrote:
>>  Hello, I have found a situation that kills tc on startup within about 3
>>  seconds on a 64-bit cloud running Ubuntu server. localhost resolves
>>  correctly via dig but if we ping localhost it resolves to localhost.com.
>
> Sorry, but this sounds like hogwash to me.
> Where do you do the "dig", and where do you do the "ping" ?
> Can you paste the output of both here ?

localhost.com is a real host (64.99.64.32).

> What does the local /etc/hosts file have to say about "localhost" ?
> Can you also paste that here ?

Yep, what does /etc/hosts say about localhost.

Also, what does /etc/resolv.conf look like (paste that here)?
Also, what does /etc/nsswitch.conf look like - especially the hosts: line (paste that here)?

>>  this in my estimation is causing tc to bail. the tc 7 installed is 64
>>  with a sun-oracle 64 bit jdk all fresh out-of-the-box with no config or
>>  changes. This is a vulnerability in my estimation unless somebody can
>>  prove different.

All this runs happily on my Fedora 15 system (albeit in 32 bit mode).

> That is a very bold statement, which seems made without turning one's tongue
> into one's mouth 7 times before.. (as my old nanny would have said)

. . . . just my two cents

/mde/