tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Versions
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:45:50 GMT
Dark Before Dawn wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the
> differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are.
> Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time.
> Are these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?

You know, it's pretty much the same as for Windows versions, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and
stuff.  The marketing guys keep pushing for some new bells and whistles, and the
developers do their best to make it happen.  Otherwise customers get bored, and they may
start looking at Jboss or so.
There is also these Java Servlet Specs guys who keep adding new things, so one's got to
keep attention and change a few things left and right.
And then there are these hackers who got nothing better to do with their time than finding

overflowing buffers and such, so you need to keep that under control too.
It just never ends.