tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Passing user id from web page to tomcat webapp
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:23:09 GMT
David kerber wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 10:51 AM, David kerber wrote:

>>> That is the "the newly-released "authenticator Valve" (?) available in
>>> Tomcat 7 " solution I was talking about.
>>>
>>> David, getting the Windows user-id in Tomcat is quite complicated,
>>> because Windows authentication is complicated.
>>> Since you already have an IIS server involved, by far the easiest way is
>>> my solution (1), which can be set up easily with an IIS-Tomcat connector
>>> (the IIS-oriented version of mod_jk). See :
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html
>>
>> Thanks; I'll take a look.
>
> That reference has tomcat and IIS installed on the same machine.  Is
> that a requirement, or is there a way of configuring it with tc on a
> different machine (actually a different subnet, in my case)?

Not a requirement at all. They could be in different countries, as long as the firewalls
allows IIS to set up a TCP connection with Tomcat.

Since you're new at this, a very quick ascii graphic schema :

browser <-- HTTP/TCP --> (IIS+Isapi_redirect) <-- AJP/TCP --> (AJP Connector +
Tomcat)

IIS+Isapi_Redirect decides which URLs get forwarded to Tomcat.
For IIS+Isapi_Redirect, each Tomcat back-end is called a "worker".
The webapp response comes back the same way.
To the browser, everything looks like it is IIS serving it.