tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat is not able to connect to IPV4 (Tomcat Version : 7.0.14)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:13:04 GMT
Rohan Kadam wrote:
> Hi André,
>
> Yes, whatever your understanding is correct. And also the connector tag is inside of
Tomcat B.

Ok, then Charles' earlier message was correct, and the problem has nothing to do with
Tomcat per se.

Your web application A makes its own TCP connection to webserver C, using the Apache
httpclient.  It does not use any of the Tomcat network code for that.
(In particular, it does not use the Tomcat <Connector>).
It would be the same if your web application A was a stand-alone Java application, running

outside of Tomcat.

It is a mystery why, in your previous installation, changing the Tomcat <Connector>

settings was changing the behaviour, but it has nothing to do with the issue you are
dealing with now, as far as I can see.

What you should maybe try :
Outside of Tomcat, from a console on the same host as Tomcat B, try to run a console
application to connect to the URL on server C.
For example, use "wget" or "curl", with the same target URL as what you used with the
browser.  Maybe the Tomcat host simply cannot access server C ?

> Thanks.

the application with tomcat. After extraction (complete installation), the application is
placed under the webapps directory.

>> The logs that I have shared is from the console, while debugging the application.
>
> Ok, so I understand that it is your web application A, running inside your Tomcat B,
which tries to access another webserver C.  And application A, to connect to webserver C,
is using a httpclient object for that.
> Right ?
>
>> To summarize more, we were facing a similar kind of problem in an
>> earlier version of tomcat when we upgraded it from 5.5.26 to 5.5.30
>> (We were able to access the link through browser,
>
> What link to where ?
> Do you mean that the browser (D) can connect directly to webserver C ?
> But that when application A tries to connect to webserver C, you have the error below
?
> (java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect..)
>
>   but not through application). To solve this issue, we modified the connector tag in
the server.xml file.
>> 	<Connector port="7070"    	  maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>>                	  maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>>              	  enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
>>                	  connectionTimeout="20000"
>> disableUploadTimeout="true" address="0.0.0.0" />
>>

> Still to make things clear : is this <Connector> inside of Tomcat B, or is it the
connector of the other webserver C ?

>> As, it can be seen from above we have added address="0.0.0.0" in the connector tag,
by doing so we were able to connect.

>> Now, as per the new requirement, we are upgrading our tomcat from 5.5.30 to 7.0.14(Since
the folder structure is changed, we are shipping the fresh copy of tomcat). We have modified
the connector tag as we have done for 5.5.30, but still no success. Please let me know if
I am missing something or you want more information for the same.

>> Thanks.

you are using for the org.apache.commons.httpclient connection method, to set up this connection
?
> [...]
>>>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager$HttpConnectionAdapter.open(MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java:1321)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:386)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:396)
>>>         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:324)
>>>         at com.symantec.lua.util.rcl.HttpHelper.open(HttpHelper.java:209)
>>>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:82)
>>>         at com.symantec.lua.manager.config.ConfigManagerUtil.testServerConnection(ConfigManagerUtil.java:30)
>>>         at com.symantec.lua.presentation.common.ServerStatusAction.doAction(ServerStatusAction.java:148)
>>>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.ActionThread.run(ActionThread.java:76)
>>>         at com.ultimatetech.console.core.presentation.action.CoreAction.execute(CoreAction.java:184)
>>>         at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:419)
>>>         at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:224)
>>>         at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
>>>         at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:414)
>>>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)
>>>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
>>>         at com.ultimatetech.console.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:82)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
>>>         at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
>>>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11AprProcessor.java:843)
>>>         at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:679)
>>>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1293)
>>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>>>
>>> I am able to open the link through browser but not through application. Also
I have checked firewall setting, it is not blocking any ports.

>>> Please suggest.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rohan Kadam.

from Cybage Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not
an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the
sender by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is
not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail.
You should carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment."