tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Uploading large files and session timeout
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:31:46 GMT
Sai Pullabhotla wrote:
> We have an application that uploads files using a Servlet deployed in
> Tomcat 6. While this works most of the times, occasionally we run into
> issues uploading large files. If the upload takes longer then the
> session timeout, the session gets invalidated right after the upload.
> Tis means no further requests are accepted unless the user logs back
> in. Is this the expected behavior? Is there any way to work around
> this and keep the session active? I guess one way to fix this is to
> have a large session timeout like an hour or two, but we prefer not to
> do that for obvious reasons.

Responding in the absolute,
if there is a session timeout functionality, then it must be based on
a) a timeout value (a number of seconds e.g.)
b) somewhere, an indicator of when the session was "last active", which gets updated at
some point

So the problem would boil down to knowing where this "last active" time is stored, and
update it regularly during the file upload.