tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: webapps and TCP/UDP listening sockets
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:03:58 GMT
On 6/30/2011 11:45 PM, Tim Judd wrote:
> Hi Christopher, all
>
> 'machine' was meant to indicate one of two choices, the computer that is running
> the tomcat server, or the computer who is the client in a client-server
> relationship.  I don't know the intricities of webapps yet in how they run.
> This thread was just trying to understand if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
>
> Your second paragraph is better phrased.  which computer/'machine' is doing the
> binding?  Writing a standalone Java desktop app is most definately going to bind
> to it's own machine.  I don't need to delegate anything to Tomcat itself, I need
> to know if I run a webapp and it binds and listens to a socket, which machine
> does it bind on?

A Webapp by definition runs in tomcat, and will bind on the server.  I 
don't know anything about x11, but if it's similar to Citrix or 
Microsoft RDP, then even a local java app is going to be actually 
running on the server (and therefore binding the sockets there), and 
only sending the console to your client.


>
>
> Lastly, your statement about making it a webapp if http is not involved is
> because to centrally deploy an application is often served off http; I wanted to
> get into Java/webapps so I elected this route.  If they are standalone protocols
> (and they will be) to communicate between many clients to one (or a farm) of
> servers, why can't I launch it from http?
>
>
>   If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
> "I can" is a way of life.
> More and Bigger is not always Better.
> The road to success is always uphill.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Christopher Schultz<chris@christopherschultz.net>
> To: Tomcat Users List<users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Sent: Thu, June 30, 2011 8:07:55 PM
> Subject: Re: webapps and TCP/UDP listening sockets
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Tim,
>
> On 6/30/2011 7:14 PM, Tim Judd wrote:
>> If I develop a webapp that listens for TCP/UDP sockets, which machine is
>> actually listening?
>
> When you say "machine"... you mean ... what, exactly?
>
> If you develop a webapp that listens for TCP/UDP sockets, where is the
> socket bind occurring? If it's your webapp, then it really has nothing
> to do with Tomcat at all: it's just like writing a non-webapp program
> that binds to a socket and listens.
>
> If you want to delegate incoming requests to threads from Tomcat's
> request processor pool, that might be a bit tricky. Is that what you'd
> like to do?
>
> Do you really need Tomcat in this situation?
>
>> Is the tomcat server listening (because the webapp is
>> running on that tomcat) or is the client listening (because he is running the
>> webapp on the tomcat server)!
>
> Probably both, but it depends on your answer to the above questions.
>
>> My goal is to have:
>>    single UDP listening at tomcat server for packets, and
>>    multicast UDP listening at the clients that is getting resended off the
>> single
>>
>> above UDP port from the webapp tomcat server
>
> Why do you want to build this as a web-based application if HTTP isn't
> really involved?
>
> - -chris
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAk4NK/sACgkQ9CaO5/Lv0PBlLwCaAqi72qyRX1HCwlrtor+NS62X
> YiQAoLuYcbXt4tp9oQ0B+hTCqaocDbkG
> =QlO7
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message