tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lataxes, Karl" <Karl.Lataxes...@nielsen.com>
Subject RE: Sticky Session Not Working With Apache 2.0.54 and Tomcat 7.0.8
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:34:37 GMT
I believe this may what you requested.  The parameter information I extracted from the request
was contained in the request body, as well as the session ID I mentioned previously.  If we
need to include additional coding in both our servlet and client software, then it's better
we find out now.

PATH: /
HEADER INFORMATION
HEADER: user-agent 'Java/1.6.0_16'
HEADER: host '<host>:<port>'
HEADER: accept 'text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2'
HEADER: connection 'keep-alive'
HEADER: content-type 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'
HEADER: content-length '134'

PARAMETER INFORMATION
PARAM: <parameter_name> '<parameter_value>'

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.jung@kippdata.de]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 3:22 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Sticky Session Not Working With Apache 2.0.54 and Tomcat 7.0.8

On 15.07.2011 18:19, Lataxes, Karl wrote:
> We do not send cookies.
>
> Our clients are not web pages but applications embedded in proprietary hardware, which
connect to our network via landline telephone or cell modem and access our servlet via HTTP
connection.  The servlet responds by sending a message containing several parameters in name-value
pair format, including a session id that appears as:  "session-id= <unique_client_identifier>-<current_time_in_milliseconds>".
 The client will respond to the servlet with a message that contains the same session id name-value
pair.  After initial connection, all client-server communications will contain this unique
session id name-value pair.

> Apache will forward the requests/responses as expected when a single Tomcat node is running.
 However, for multiple nodes, the requests are forwarded round robin to all nodes.  Our system
environment prevents us from using session replication between nodes, so we have to use sticky
sessions.

> I do not believe the problem is with Tomcat, but rather how mod_jk routes the requests.
 Is there any way to configure mod_jk so that it will recognize the session id name-value
pair?

I did understand your question, but you still did not give the information hntains the session
id.

The protocol spoken is HTTP and Apache is an HTTP server. So you need to get used to the appropriate
language in order to allow us to understand and give a correct answer. That's why I suggested
words as query parameters, path info, request headers etc.

If the session id is send by the client as part of the request body, then it will become complex
and I currently see no solution without a bit of coding. If the id is in headers or somewhere
in the URL, you could likely design a solution using mod_proxy_balancer.

Regards,

Rainer

 The session id consists of "session-id", a unique client identifier, and the current time
in milliseconds, which is used as session identification for subsequent requests.  There are
numerous message exchanges between the servlet and client during a typical session, all of
which contain the session id.  Once the session has successfully ended, the session id is
removed from the servlet.

>> Is there any way we can configure mod_jk to recognize the session id in order to
route subsequent messages to the original Tomcat node it initially contacted?