tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Südkamp <Michael.Suedk...@docware.de>
Subject AW: server status reports long request times
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:20:09 GMT

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2011 11:06
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: server status reports long request times

Hello Andre

"a certain client" related to the entries in the "client" column of the mentioned server status
page having the same IP  address

>>  Believe me our web-app is not in a loop.
> How do you know that ? We do not believe anything or anyone here without some proof.

Sure but how could I proove this ?

> I believe that taking some thread dumps would tell you exactly what Tomcat is doing at
such times.

We looked at thread dumps several times. The CPU charge was always reported for the "VM Thread"
and we didn't know how this information could help us finding a problem on our side. If the
problem occurs on an internal system we would probably connect with a debugger to this Tomcat
to find evidence for extensive GC activity relating to our classes or the like. But on production
customer system it's not easy to further analyze the situation.

> Well, if from the Tomcat point of view the request is not finished, it should not kill
it, should it ? some valid requests/responses may take a long time to finish. How is Tomcat
supposed to know ?

Sure, Tomcat can't know but we would like to tell Tomcat to do so .

> A very long KeepAlive setting may explain connections lingering on. What is your setting
?

The default or the value from the default server.xml