tomcat-users mailing list archives

From A Df <abbey_dragonfor...@yahoo.com>
Subject Missing files for Apache and Log4J
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:33:20 GMT
Dear All:

I have created a Java web application and I want to have logging to ensure that the appropriate
messages are stored in log files instead of to standard output. I found a link at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
and was following the instruction but I am unclear for these steps. My details are:

	* Apache Tomcat 6.0.26
	* Log 4j 1.2.16

The instructions specify

	* Build or download the additional logging components.
I am new to logging, so I am not sure what other extra are needed!

	* Replace $CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar with output/extras/tomcat-juli.jar.
Does this mean that I move the jar from that location and create the folders to put it in
another location to have :C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache Tomcat 6.0.26\output\extras?

	* Place output/extras/tomcat-juli-adapters.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.I cannot find the jar
file in the Log4J download or Apache files so where is it located?

Is Log4J the best logging to use with a Java web app? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
A Df