tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Brown <>
Subject Re: tc 7 out-of-box won't run localhost issue on 8005 a vulnerability?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:08:47 GMT
OK, here is the hogwash. I have already been round-and-round with the
cloud admin guys with all of their requests for: netstat, lsof, ifconfig
on-and-on. Anyway you slice it some random network config whether
correct or not should not be shutting down a server upon boot.
Especially, where there is no logging to speak of to shed light. And,
this not an AIX but an Ubuntu 10.x Lucid server with all the major
services running including NAMEd, SMTPd, HTTPd, SSHd, IMAPd, MySQLd and
others with not a single hitch-in-the-git-along except for TC. JDK
(sun-oracle 6.26 64) and TC 7 (64) are both fresh out-of-the-box install
with no futzing about with any config.

And, BTW: this is on the server instance and not some laptop
somewhere :-S

david@dobbeltganger:~$ dig localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> localhost
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;localhost.			IN	A

localhost.		604800	IN	A

localhost.		604800	IN	NS	localhost.

localhost.		604800	IN	AAAA	::1

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; WHEN: Tue Jul 12 20:04:09 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 85

david@dobbeltganger:~$ ping -c 3 localhost
PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=16.9 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=2 ttl=246 time=17.0 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=3 ttl=246 time=16.9 ms

--- ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 10041ms
david@dobbeltganger:~$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed,
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:	mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 files
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
david@dobbeltganger:~$ cat /etc/hosts	localhost localhost.localdomain
david@dobbeltganger:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 20:14 +0200, André Warnier wrote:
> Bill Miller wrote:
> > Have a good look at the /etc/hosts.conf file, it needs to contain something like
"order hosts, bind"
> > (AIX=netsvc.conf). If that is misconfigured then you will have exactly the problems
> > describing. I found this exact behaviour on an AIX system that was misconfigured.
Keep working on