tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "honyk" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7 faces servlet encoding issue
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:23:37 GMT
> > Thanks for that hint.
> > returns HTTP Content-type
> > image/svg+xml (according to Firebug)
> > but returns
> > image/svg+xml;charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > In Tomcat 6 powered web I am getting just 'image/svg+xml' in both
> cases.
> 1) What encoding is specified in <?xml> header in the svg file?

> 2) I suspect that you are using getWriter() to write the file
> somewhere.  That will add encoding to the content type if you are
> running Tomcat 7,

I suspect Mojarra from that or Faces Servlet respectively. They process all
the requests with that 'faces' URL fragment.

> and IIRC  you wil also observe this if you are running Tomcat 6 with
> *.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE system property set to "true".
You are right! So it explains the 6 vs. 7 difference !
> > I am just thinking where to specify that encoding for
> > standalone SVG files. In web.xml?
> It can be done in mime type mapping in web.xml

I've tried to change the svg mime spec to

and voila, it works! (not uploaded to the server yet)

So it is not definitely a Tomcat issue.

Thanks a lot for your help!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: