tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "eurotrans-Verlag" <verlag.preis...@t-online.de>
Subject NPE at StandardWrapperValve.invoke() in Tomcat 7.0.16
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 00:31:50 GMT
Hi all,

I’m using Tomcat 7.0.16 on a system with Java 1.6.0_26 on Windows Serer 2008
and wondered about a strange NPE I got shortly after deploying a webapp to
Tomcat:

SCHWERWIEGEND: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
request processing
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
va:287)
	at
va:164)
	at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase
.java:462)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:164
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100
)
	at
:118)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.CrawlerSessionManagerValve.invoke(CrawlerSessionM
anagerValve.java:172)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:403)
	at
org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProcessor.process(AjpAprProcessor.java:284)
	at
org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol$AjpConnectionHandler.process(AjpAprProt
ocol.java:146)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:
1730)
	at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.ja
va:886)
	at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:9
08)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

>From looking at Tomcat 7.0.16's source, I can see that line 287 in
StandardWrapperValve is inside a catch block:

285 	} catch (Throwable e) {
286 	    ExceptionUtils.handleThrowable(e);
287 	    container.getLogger().error(sm.getString(
288 	        "standardWrapper.serviceException", wrapper.getName(),
289 	        context.getName()), e);
290 	    throwable = e;
291 	    exception(request, response, e);
292 	}

So does that mean that another Exception/Error occurred, but was suppressed
by that NPE and therefore couldn't be logged?

Regards,

Konstantin Preißer