tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jocelyn Ireson-Paine <p...@j-paine.org>
Subject Re: Null-pointer exception from response.encodeUrl under Windows Tomcat 7
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 08:40:25 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Felix Schumacher wrote:

> [...]
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting sporadic null-pointer exceptions from 'response.encodeUrl'.
>> This is with Tomcat 7.0.14, the latest stable version to which I upgraded
>> an hour ago, and Java 1.6.0_26, which again I upgraded to at the same
>> time, under Windows XP. I also got the error under Tomcat 5.5.33, which is
>> why I tried upgrading. I uninstalled old Tomcats and Javas before
>> upgrading.
>>
>> Here's a trace of the error:
>>    java.lang.NullPointerException
>>  	at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.toAbsolute(Response.java:1594)
>>  	at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.encodeURL(Response.java:1198)
>>  	at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.encodeUrl(ResponseFacade.java:422)
>>  	at sharesim.ValueGame.encodeUrl(ValueGame.java:468)
>> The fourth line of the trace is my code.
>>
>> To get some diagnostics, I encapsulated 'response.encodeUrl' in the
>> following method, and used 'println' to print to Tomcat's log. This method
> You can use the servlet api's log method to log inside a web
> application, or even better use a logging-framework.
>
>> is the one mentioned on the fourth line of the above trace.
>>    private final static String encodeUrl( HttpServletResponse response
>>                                         , String url
>>                                         )
>>    {
>>      System.out.println( "encodeUrl" );
>>      System.out.println( "response=" + response );
>>      System.out.println( "url=" + url );
>>      String result = null;
>>      if ( response == null )
>>        result = "not on Web";
>>      else
>>        result = response.encodeUrl( url );
>>      System.out.println( "result=" + result );
>>      return result;
>>    }
>>
>> As mentioned above, the errors are sporadic. My redirection code gets
>> called on my server when I submit one of my forms. But sometimes, the
>> submit works; sometimes it doesn't. Here are two successive traces from
>> the above method:
>>    encodeUrl
>>    response=org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade@1a5ec6c
>>    url=/ResearcherValueGame1.jsp
>>    result=/ResearcherValueGame1.jsp
>>
>>    encodeUrl
>>    response=org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade@1a5ec6c
>>    url=/ResearcherValueGame1.jsp
>> The first one worked; the second crashed rather than returning the encoded
>> URL. The URL to be encoded is the same in both cases, and 'response' is
>> evidently the same instance. I don't know how to dump 'response' in order
>> to show relevant fields (whichever they are), but am happy to try it if
>> someone can suggest how.
>
> You haven't shown us the code, which calls your encodeUrl. Most of the
> times someone reports sporadic errors while working with responses, he
> is saving references to the responses in a class variable.

Hi Felix, and thanks for the comment. What is it about saving references
to the responses in a class variable that can cause problems? Is it to do
with threading: for example, do different threads all see the same class
variable, thus potentially interfering with one another? This is something
I need to know.

More specifically, I'd like to understand why you want to know this in
addition to the diagnostics I included with the mail. These showed two
calls to 'response.encodeUrl'. In both, the URLs were the same. The
response instances were presumably also the same, since they had the same
instance ID, ResponseFacade@1a5ec6c. In particular, neither response
instance was null. So although one call crashed, it wasn't because of a
nulled response, caused perhaps by losing the contents of a class
variable. I wondered whether you suspect that that might be my problem.

Although I suppose the response instances could have been interfered with
by code that updates some of their fields. As it happens, my code
doesn't do that (unless I remember wrongly), but you obviously wouldn't
know that.

I'm not criticising your comment, by the way; just trying to understand
why you asked. My code is quite long, but I can summarise the call chain
and response assignments if we don't solve the problem before.

> Felix

Jocelyn