tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <bob.dere...@thingworx.com>
Subject how to use VirtualWebappLoader - either in META-INF/context.xml or programmatically on startup
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:17:24 GMT
We're running tomcat 6.0.32 64-bit on Windows Server 2008 R2.  We have a requirement to support
pluggable extensions to our webapp.  We do not want the associated JAR(s) in the WEB-INF/lib
directory.  Instead, we want to place them in a WEB-INF/lib/extensions folder that we created.

To do this, I need to inform my webapp class loader about the extra repository.  From looking
at VirtualWebappLoader, this looks like just what I need.

Problem is - I can't seem to get this to work.  I have created a context.xml file and placed
it in our META-INF folder.  The contents are:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context>
   <Loader className="org.apache.catalina.loader.VirtualWebappLoader"
           virtualClasspath="/WEB-INF/lib/extensions/*.jar"/>
</Context>

>From reading the tomcat documentation, it seems like Tomcat should automatically detect
the context.xml file and add the classloader, but it doesn't seem to be looking in this extra
directory.  I've tried adding a path attribute to the Context element, but that didn't help.

If anyone can clarify how to use this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-bob