tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <>
Subject HOW TO: create custom Tomcat 6 connector to do port sharing
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:10:57 GMT
Hi Tomcat gurus:

I've scoured the net for information on how to do port sharing within the context of a Tomcat
Servlet-based web application process.  While there's some discussion, there still doesn't
appear to be any solutions [YET] - that I could find yet.

What I need to do is the following:

* receive both HTTP and XMPP traffic on a single port [either 80 or 443 - depending on security

* route the HTTP traffic to Tomcat's HTTP Connector [or sub-processing component] if possible

* route the XMPP to an embedded Vysper server

* ALL running in the context of a single Tomcat Server process

This will enable us to leverage the power/investment in our servlet infrastructure and Vysper
XMPP all together without having to open multiple ports.

If this is possible in either Tomcat 6 or Tomcat 7, please let me know how I should go about

* doing some custom extension in Tomcat (i.e. custom Tomcat connector that uses Netty for

* or, some other approach ???

please advise on how you would recommend achieving our goal.

Thanks in advance,

Bob DeRemer
Senior Director, Architecture and Development<>
Skype: bob.deremer
O: 717.505.7923
M: 717.881.3986