tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rüdiger Herrmann <rherrm...@eclipsesource.com>
Subject Re: How to cluster two embedded tomcat 7 instances
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:42:42 GMT
Martin,

thanks for the pointers. Though, I'd rather like to start with the
default solution (i.e. something that works out of the box with the
Tomcat deliverable)
In the meanwhile, I brought the SimpleTcpCluster to work. I will
report here soon with some code.

Still, I would be *very* interested in knowing how to use the
PersistentManager to realize session failover - if it is inteded to
serve that purpose at all.

Regards
Rüdiger

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 16:16, Martin Grotzke
<martin.grotzke@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> perhaps memcached-session-manager is an option for you:
> http://code.google.com/p/memcached-session-manager/
>
> It has integration tests that show how to configure it programatically:
> https://github.com/magro/memcached-session-manager/blob/master/core/src/test/java/de/javakaffee/web/msm/integration/TestUtils.java#L440
>
> Configuration options are described here:
> http://code.google.com/p/memcached-session-manager/wiki/SetupAndConfiguration
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> On 06/09/2011 03:15 PM, Rüdiger Herrmann wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to programmatically set up two Tomcat engines and have
>> them form a basic cluster - all in the same VM. Creating and starting
>> the servlet engines already works
>>   Tomcat tomcat = new Tomcat()
>>   tomcat.setPort( 123 );
>>   // create context, add servlet, ...
>>   tomcat.start();
>>
>> What I am struggling with is setting up the cluster. My first attempt
>> was to use the PersistentManager with Store that uses a shared
>> directory. But it seems that it only persists session in time
>> intervals. To enable failover, a session would need to be persisted
>> after each request. However, I didn't find out how to configure or
>> trigger the PersistentManager to do so.
>> Still, the PersistenceManager setup was straightforward and if anyone
>> knows how to form a cluster with this approach I would be grateful to
>> know.
>>
>> I am aware of the SimpleTcpCluster, which I would try next. Just,
>> before transforming the XML configuration into API calls (without
>> known their meaning) I wanted to ask if there is an easier or even
>> pre-built solution.
>>
>> Background:
>> I work on enabling RAP [1], a web framework, to work in failover
>> cluster environments. To ensure cluster-support, I have a set of JUnit
>> tests that issue requests against an embeded cluster of servlet
>> engines and then examine the state of sessions of the respective
>> nodes, etc.
>> Performance isn't important, neither is any advanced clustering
>> feature (e.g. DeltaManager) needed. My focus is on finding a
>> lightweight and purely programmatic solution.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Rüdiger
>>
>> [1] http://eclipse.org/rap

> --
> Martin Grotzke
> http://twitter.com/martin_grotzke

EclipseSource
http://eclipsesource.com
Tel: 0721 - 66 47 33 - 0
Fax: 0721 - 66 47 33 29

Innoopract Informationssysteme GmbH
Stephanienstrasse 20, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
General Manager: Jochen Krause
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Commercial Register Mannheim HRB 107883