tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Kuen <>
Subject Re: specifying the content-type
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 14:11:37 GMT
Hi Bernd,

I think your colleagues forgot/didn't want to set the content-type in the

text/plain is apache default for anything it doesn't know (if I recall
If no content-type is set by the servlet, no content-type is delivered.
No content-type set by the servlet causes *your browser* to start guessing.
text/html is a pretty solid guess for a browser.

Often a servlet can only generate one kind of content-type. If that's the
case there's no point in making it configurable.

However, you could use mod_headers to have this set/added by apache . . .

Best Regards,