tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sriram Narayanan <>
Subject Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 05:41:10 GMT
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<> wrote:
>> From: Anand HS []
>> Subject: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server
>> We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content
>> ( media, executables etc.. ).
> As much as I like Tomcat, I have to think it might be more appropriate to use Apache
httpd rather than Tomcat for pure static content.  However, if you really want to use Tomcat,
and you expect a heavy load, install the APR connector (especially important if you're using
SSL).  The other major configuration setting would be the Java heap size, but you'll have
to experiment to determine what's optimal for your platform and load.

+1. Let Apache / Nginx / etc serve the static content and let Tomcat
focus on running your webapplication.

-- Sriram

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: