tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Clark <>
Subject Drop message SESSION-EXPIRED inside GET_ALL_SESSIONS
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:21:48 GMT
I am experiencing an issue with my cluster I have been unable to figure out.

My cluster contains 4 servers each with 4 instances of Tomcat segregated by
mod_jk directives.

Server1 Directives:
/ - tomcat.server1
/app1 - tomcat-app1.server1
/app2 - tomcat-app2.server1
/app3 - tomcat-app3.server1

Server2 Directives:
/ - tomcat.server2
/app1 - tomcat-app1.server2
/app2 - tomcat-app2.server2
/app3 - tomcat-app3.server2

... and so on

All Tomcat segmentations are clustered and share session data so our users
can move between them seamlessly on our application.

Here's the scenario I'm experiencing:

- User1 logs on to server1 and navigates to tomcat-app1.server1
- tomcat-app1.server1 becomes unresponsive and is removed from the cluster
- User1 is moved to tomcat-app1.server2 successfully and experiences no
- tomcat-app1.server1 becomes responsive and is added back to the cluster.
- tomcat-app1.server1 requests session states and throws the following error
in catalina.out:
     "WARNING: Manager [localhost#]: Drop message SESSION-EXPIRED inside
GET_ALL_SESSIONS sync phase start date 6/14/11 1:59 PM message date 12/31/69
6:00 PM"
     "INFO: Lost Session [A56F0A74DCF2FBA7F179100C3D84A485.app1.server2] at
path []"
- Load balancer moves User1 back to tomcat-app1.server1
- User1 gets logged out (lost session)