tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Viloria <jnv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: too many open files issue in tomcat
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:40:53 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27/06/2011 11:21, dasari.rao@wipro.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tomcat version is 6.0.29
> > OS is RHEL5.5-1
> > -Xms256m -Xmx768m"
> > No explicit file descriptor configuration its default of OS
> > Not observed the out of memory error but some time found the socket
> > problem
> > Only tomcat is running on the server but communicates with the DB on the
> > other server.
>
> Search the archives / look in the FAQ (I think this in in there).

Just talking from what I have experienced, most of the time I have
encountered this problem is because there is a bottleneck somehwere in the
code. Tomcat process needing to communicate via soap and remote system takes
too long to timeout hence tomcat processes are lying around wasting fd.
Another common issue is DB bottlenecks once again causing tomcat processes
to lay around for too long and as a result don't get freed up fast enough to
further serve clients.  Also you need to see how many connections are coming
in to your system using any network monitoring tool you can put on, it could
really be just that you are reaching fd limit and hence must edit your
ulimits.Hope this helps.

/Jason