tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Null-pointer exception from response.encodeUrl under Windows Tomcat 7
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 05:52:37 GMT
> From: Jocelyn Ireson-Paine [mailto:popx@j-paine.org]
> Subject: Null-pointer exception from response.encodeUrl under Windows Tomcat 7

> I'm getting sporadic null-pointer exceptions from
> 'response.encodeUrl'.

First off, let me say that it's an unexpected pleasure to read such a complete (and literate)
problem description; this is a model of what we'd like to see in all enquiries.

Now to the problem at hand: from browsing through the code, it appears the exception can occur
if the original request had no scheme (e.g., http, https) associated with it.  I would hazard
a guess that might come from an ill-constructed forward somewhere inside the webapp, since
I don't think a schemeless request could come in from the outside.

Can you display the original request URL, or perhaps enable the AccessLogValve?  (I'm not
sure if that captures forwards, however.)

 - Chuck