tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7 Shared Class Loader Removed?
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:10:39 GMT
> From: Ole Ersoy [mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 Shared Class Loader Removed?

> I was thinking about putting the jars in the shared repository,
> rather than deploying them with the war.  Could you please help
> me understand why this is bad?

1) You would have data sharing - probably inadvertent - across all the webapps.  Information
can leak from one to another, which has serious integrity and security implications.

2) You would introduce versioning dependencies across all your webapp deployments, so if one
copy of the webapp needed to be updated for a given client set, all would have to be updated
simultaneously.

3) Redeployment or restart of a single webapp would be impossible.

Other than saving a certain amount of disk and memory space (both of which are exceedingly
cheap these days), what do you think you would gain?

 - Chuck