tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat with Cisco ACE Load Balancer
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:45:23 GMT
----- Original Message -----

I'll go a little further out on the limb than Chuck and Pid.

You can run multiple Tomcats from one "installation". See RUNNING.txt in the current 7.0.x
or 6.0.x distribution on how to do this.

That being said, the other comments are spot on. Here are some considerations that you need
to deal with.

1. Does your application make use of EJBs?
If so, then Tomcat may not be the right choice.

2. Does your application make use of distributed transactions?
If so, you can make Tomcat work with some additional applications, but again it may not be
the right choice.

3. How many Tomcats?
As Chuck and Pid have pointed out this is application-dependent, and will require testing
on your part.

4. Sessions?
Does your application use sessions? If so, how are they handled in a cluster of Weblogic servers?
There is documentation on how to set up clustering on the Tomcat web site.

4. Changes to Cisco ACE configuration?
First of all, this is an ACE question. Is the round robin modified by stickiness? If so, does
that stickiness depend on cookies sent by the Weblogic server? Again, this is an application-related
question.

I'm sure I can think of a lot more questions given time. However, these questions should help
you start thinking along the right lines.

Once you've answered these (and other) questions, then you can ask specific questions on the
list, such as:

1. I'm running 4 Tomcat 7.0.14 instances on a single server. Here are my server.xml files.
I'm getting the following exceptions when trying to start the servers. What am I missing?

2. What's a good way to start multiple Tomcat 7.0.14 servers at boot time on a RedHat Linux
system (version, etc.)?

For load testing, you could use JMeter and the access log sampler to generate tests (you do
keep access logs, right?).

Hopefully this is enough to get you started.

The other solution is to pay someone to do this (hint, it's not cheap). I'm sure there are
people on the list (me included) who would do this for a fee.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/