tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HOW TO: create custom Tomcat 6 connector to do port sharing
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:30:19 GMT
Pid wrote:
>> Honestly, I'd look for a non-Tomcat-centric solution because it's
>> probably already been built elsewhere.
>>
>> -chris
>
> Why is opening another port a problem?

+1

I do not know XMPP, but from the original OP description it sounds like a protocol which
uses its own transport protocol, and normally some other standard port than 80/443. (*)

Without even going into what kind of issues you may encounter at the Tomcat level when
trying to process requests/responses which are not HTTP/HTTPS,
I would also think that if you mix 2 different protocols on the same port, you will be
forcing whatever equipment/software which separates and dispatches them, to look *inside*

each TCP packet to determine which protocol this one is about.  That in itself will
introduce quite a bit of overhead.

Then again, if the connection is (sometimes) over SSL, that would also probably mean that

the packets have to be decrypted, even before their HTTP/XMPP nature can be discriminated.

Looking at XMPP in Wikipedia, it looks like there is something called "XMPP over HTTP
transport".  Is that what the OP has in mind ?