tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Slower start with Tomcat 7.0.14 and higher
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:35:50 GMT
Since delegation is downwards the only issue that should possibly occur
is if a class gets loaded in the parent classloader that then needs a
class in the child (e.g. web app) classloader.  That will fail, of
course, but that's ok as this should never occur.

>> From: Jess Holle [mailto:jessh@ptc.com]
>> Subject: Re: Slower start with Tomcat 7.0.14 and higher
>> Well the classloaders are clearly hierarchical, so only one Class
>> instance is loaded.  The fact that both ClassLoaders can see the jar
>> does not result in 2 Class objects
> I think we need some experimentation (or browsing through some really ugly C++ code in
the JVM) to verify the above.  I have a vague memory of the class dependency resolution being
routed through the classloader of the class with the dependency, not the thread's current
classloader, thus avoiding downward pointer issues.  However, since I've been looking at JVM
code since 1.2 days, I can't be sure that's the way it works today without doing some more
homework.

> If dependency resolution does work the way I remember, then it would be possible for
the same .class file to be processed by different classloaders in your environment.