tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Slower start with Tomcat 7.0.14 and higher
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 19:41:18 GMT
On 6/20/2011 2:16 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> It should have improved for the majority of use cases in 7.0.14 but at
> the price of making it worse for JARs in CATALINA_[HOME_BASE]/lib.
> 7.0.16 should have returned scanning of JARs in CATALINA_[HOME_BASE]/lib
> to the pre 7.0.14 performance levels.
We're embedding Tomcat in a larger server process and the base
classloader includes a lot more than CATALINA_BASE/lib.  Some of these
jars are huge -- and the intent (and effect) is that these are shared by
any/all web app instances.

My initial guess is that the 7.0.16 fix may have overlooked this
possibility and be special-cased for jars in CATALINA_BASE/lib vs.
applying to any jar coming from the base classloader and a file: (vs.
HTTP or JNDI) URL.
> It looks like there may still be an issue. Profiling data on where the
> time is being spent would be useful.
I should be able to drum up such a profile here in a bit...

--
Jess Holle