tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: specifying the content-type
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 16:02:08 GMT
> Bernd,
>
> On 6/7/2011 2:23 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> How did you do it? If you use <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"
>>> CONTENT="text/html" />, it should override any Content-Type
>>> sent in the HTTP response headers
>
>> Yes, we used this. But http://de.selfhtml.org/html/kopfdaten/meta.htm#zeichenkodierung
(unfortunally only in german) says
>> "Im Konfliktfall, also wenn der Webserver im HTTP-Header eine hiervon abweichende
Angabe sendet, wird ├╝blicherweise die Angabe des HTTP-Headers verwendet.", which means that,
if you have the META in the HTML-file and also the content-type in the HTTP-Header, mostly
the HTTP-Header "wins".

> You're right. I had it wrong: the HTTP header overrides the content of
> the document.

With respect to text/plain sent by Apache: This is due to:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/core.html#defaulttype

So setting

DefaultType none

in Apache should put you into the same browser auto-detect situation
than when talking to Tomcat directly (assuming minimal version Apache
2.2.7). In fact for the forthcoming Apache 2.4 the default has been
switched to none :)

Regards,

Rainer