tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: serving pre-compressed files
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:10:23 GMT
Jesse Farinacci wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm using Tomcat 7.0.14 and IBM Java 6. As part of my web
> application's bundling mechanism (via Maven) I have the ability to
> pre-gzip compress static resources. I'd like Tomcat to detect that a
> request for /path/to/resource has /path/to/resource.gz available, and
> serve the gzip'd content instead, if the user agent supports it.
>
> Is there anything like this available? If not, what suggestions do you
> have? Thanks,

Suggestion : create a servlet filter to do this.
But I would first check if the urlrewrite filter, at www.tuckey.org, cannot already do
that.  I would not be surprised.
Do not forget in that case, that you will have to add a response header letting the client

know that you are doing this (Transport-encoding: ?)