tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AW: specifying the content-type
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 14:21:01 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
  For whatever reason, httpd wants to send a
> content-type and makes the default (text/plain) explicit for you if none
> is present.
..

per RFC 2616 :

7.2.1 Type
Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a Content-Type header field

defining the media type of that body. If and only if the media type is not given by a
Content-Type field, the recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of
its content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the resource. If the

media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

So I guess that Apache httpd is trying to do the right thing, as per the HTTP RFC.
I would not be utterly surprised if httpd went to some length about this, and did some
sniffing of its own on the response body, before it decides between "text/plain" and
"application/octet-stream".

And yes, this must be one of these rare case where IE happens to be in conformance with
the RFC, when it sniffs a content that has no Content-type header.
Based upon long experience, I think that this is purely an oversight by the IE developers

however.
;-)