tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 Shared Class Loader Removed?
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:33:12 GMT
Chuck,

Thank you.  I have some jars that I'm going to create an RPM for to help with provisioning.
 Since I'm doing that I thought linking or putting them in the shared class loader repository
might be smart, but perhaps not :).

Thanks again,
- Ole

>> From: Ole Ersoy [mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 Shared Class Loader Removed?
>
>> I was thinking about putting the jars in the shared repository,
>> rather than deploying them with the war.  Could you please help
>> me understand why this is bad?
>
> 1) You would have data sharing - probably inadvertent - across all the webapps.  Information
can leak from one to another, which has serious integrity and security implications.

> 2) You would introduce versioning dependencies across all your webapp deployments, so
if one copy of the webapp needed to be updated for a given client set, all would have to be
updated simultaneously.

> 3) Redeployment or restart of a single webapp would be impossible.
>
> Other than saving a certain amount of disk and memory space (both of which are exceedingly
cheap these days), what do you think you would gain?