tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michal Singer <Michal.Sin...@expand.com>
Subject RE: fail to download large static files in tomcat
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 06:39:20 GMT
Hi,

I tried defining the useSendFile - it did not help in transferring a 500MB file. Any other
ideas what can get wrong, which configuration I need for the big file to be loaded successfully?

Thanks, Michal

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: ג 28 יוני 2011 15:51
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: fail to download large static files in tomcat

> From: Michal Singer [mailto:Michal.Singer@expand.com]
> Subject: RE: fail to download large static files in tomcat

> From the tomcat documentation I read this useSendFile is default
> to true and it is defined under nio.

This is correct; NIO does support sendfile, as does APR.

> As I mentioned before, I am defining the static context
> under Engine->Host->Context:

Which is not recommended, since you're modifying server.xml for a specific webapp.  Better
to place the <Context> element in conf/Catalina/[host]/bundles.xml, with just a docBase
attribute.  I'd recommend using an absolute path for docBase, since a relative one is dependent
on how you start Tomcat.

> This does not correspond to a specific connector

Requests received over a <Connector> with useSendfile set will be processed with sendfile,
those received on a <Connector> without sendfile capability won't use it.  If you use
the NIO class for all of your HTTP or HTTPS <Connector> elements, you'll get sendfile
by default.

 - Chuck