tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michal Singer <Michal.Sin...@expand.com>
Subject RE: fail to download large static files in tomcat
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:44:54 GMT
The useSendfile relates to connectors, the configuration I understand is needed is in under
Engine > Host > Context (<Context            docBase="../../work/bundles"
    path="/bundles")

Can you explain how the " useSendfile" relates to static files?
Is the configuration I am using correct? Or is there another way to configure the use of static
files?
Thanks, Michal

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: ב 27 יוני 2011 15:39
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: fail to download large static files in tomcat

Michal Singer wrote:

> This worked fine, the client succeeded to download the files, but I need it to work with
large files (more then 500MB).
> This failed.

What failed ? How failed ? what do the logfiles say ?

> Does anyone know why this can fail?

Not without some better data.

> Is there a configuration I need to add to raise the limit? (I couldn't find it in the
apache-tomcat configuration manual).

As far as I know, there is no limit (on the Tomcat side) for *downloading* files.

> Is it recommended to use apache-tomcat for this (currently we download with using ftp
server embedded into our product, but it is too heavy)?

What do you mean by "too heavy" ? at the level of the client, or the server ?
(or the bandwidth of your communication channel client(s)<->server ?)

I don't think that this would be either recommended or not recommended.  It is something
that you /can/ do with Tomcat (or any other webserver).
If these are always large static files, you may want to look at a parameter somewhere
named "useSendFile" or similar, probably in the <Connector> documentation.