tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Patrick Guillot - Genigraph" <>
Subject RE: Classpath issue *only* when starting tomcat 6 as a service
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:07:45 GMT
Hi all,

Back on this issue.
I have a new machine as a sand-box.
This is a brand-new machine. Nothing but the operating system was installed
before I began (Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2).

Step 1:

I Installed tomcat using the installer "apache-tomcat-6.0.29.exe"(including
Tomcat service and native library).
The service has been set-up automatically by the installer.
I did no modification at all on the service set-up. So, I use the "out of
the box" tomcat set-up.

As a consequence, I haven't had to use "service.bat" since the installer did
the job itself. I only had to check the box "service" in the component list
of the installer.

I put Waffle webapps in the "webapps" directory, and waffle libs in
"endorsed". I have had to create the "endorsed" directory by myself. This
directory is referenced in the service configuration automatically set-up by
the tomcat installer (-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Outils\Tomcat 6.0\endorsed).

I'm still seeing the very same error :

Step 2:

In uninstalled tomcat, and reinstall it using
"". In other words, I just unzipped the
archive in "c:\tomcat" directory.
Then I:
- put Waffle webapps in "webapps";
- create "C:\endorsed\" directory;
- put Waffle libs in "C:\endorsed\";
- updated "startup.bat" to let it know about Java home (I could have set-up
an env. variable, but...):
	set JAVA_HOME=C:\Outils\Java\jdk1.5.0_22
- started tomcat using "startup.bat".

Still seeing the error :

Step 3:
Reusing the same set-up as step 2, but put the waffle libs in tomcat's lib
directory directly - not in endorsed dir.
==> fine : no more error!

Step 4:
Reinstalled Tomcat as a service with Waffle libs in Tomcat's lib directory.
==> fine : no more error!

So really, it seems I have to put Waffle libs in tomcat lib directory to
make it work.
I really do not like this since as far as I know this is not a good
practice. But obviously, I don't have any other choice, do I?

I will now try to make this work on my multiple tomcat instances
Thanks all for your inputs.

Kind regards,
Téléphone : +33 (0)9 51 17 44 24
Avant d'imprimer cet email et les pièces jointes, pensez à l'environnement.