tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Slow SSL connections after Tomcat 5 to 7 migration
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 19:09:51 GMT
> From: Michał Kapituła [mailto:michal.kapitula@comarch.pl]
> Subject: Re: Slow SSL connections after Tomcat 5 to 7 migration

> Really I don't know what to search for there (maybe you
> could give me some clues?).

Look to see what the threads are doing.  Some will be waiting on monitors, some might actually
be doing work, some might be stuck on I/O requests.  You have to look at each call stack to
see (a laborious process, unfortunately).  It's often useful to take several thread dumps
a few seconds apart and see what's changing and what isn't.

> Could you explain why reading from /dev/random possibly
> could be the case here?

Because /dev/random (unlike /dev/urandom) can wait an arbitrarily long time to gather enough
randomness before returning data.  This is especially problematic on virtual machines running
as servers, which have very little going on to generate entropy.

 - Chuck