tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: problems get tomcat6 running
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 15:06:54 GMT
Christian Röttger wrote:
> Am 25.05.2011 16:00, schrieb Pid:
>> On 25/05/2011 13:55, Christian Röttger wrote:
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> i installed tomcat6.0.24 on a ubuntu 10.04 server with this installation
>>> guide ( https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/tomcat.html )
>>> without changing the port.
>>>
>>> when i try to access the page on myserver:8080 it remains loading and
>>
>> The exception gives you a fairly big hint:
>>
>>> 25.05.2011 14:25:53 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester fatalError
>>> SCHWERWIEGEND: Parse Fatal Error at line 23 column 1: XML document
>>> structures must start and end within the same entity.
>>> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 23; columnNumber: 1; XML
>>> document structures must start and end within the same entity.
>>
>> You have an error in your Tomcat configuration, an element of your XML
>> is incorrectly written...
>>
>>> org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener createMBeans
>>> SCHWERWIEGEND: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources
>>> javax.naming.NamingException: XML document structures must start and end
>>> within the same entity.
>>
>> ... in the Global JNDI definition.
>>

>> If you can't see what it is, you can post the server.xml file inline,
>> with any username, passwords&  IPs removed.
>
> I didn't change anything in that file, but the xml is attached.

I believe that the following lines in the log give a further hint :

        at org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.open(MemoryUserDatabase.java:409)
         at
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.getObjectInstance(MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.java:103)

.. that it is maybe not in the "server.xml" file, but in the "tomcat-users.xml" file that

the problem occurs.
And from this :

         at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(XMLEntityScanner.java:1393)

might we guess also that you tried to remove a comment section, but did not quite succeed
?

Post the tomcat-users.xml file contents if you do not find it by yourself.
Better yet, use an XML-aware editor, it will highlight the problem.