tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Deploying tomcat 6.0.10 as a windows service
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 11:54:00 GMT
arno.schaefer@sqs.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> if I confiure an instance of tomcat as a windows service, I have to give this
> instance a unique name (tomcat6 //IS//servicename {params ...}).
> What signs are at least allowed in this name? It seems that dashes and under-
> scores are not allowed. What delimiter are possible to make the name readable.
>
> Background: I want to automate the creation of this services with context dep-
> ending information and have to configure more than one instance of a tomcat
> service.

There are possiby 2 parts to this.

Part 1 : what Windows itself will accept as a Service name.

The only clear info on that subject which I could find quickly is here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682450%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
which seems to exclude just "/" and "\".

Part 2 : what the Windows command interpreter shell (cmd) does with your command line

tomcat6 //IS//servicename {params ...}

Have you tried putting "servicename" between quotes ?

In a different context, I remember finding out that Netbios "system names" or "share
names" do not admit "-" signs in them for instance (and maybe also not "_").
Maybe since a Service name may be used in Netbios sometimes, the same rules apply ?
(just guessing).