tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 18:50:45 GMT
  On 1:59 PM, fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
> Andre:  I followed your idea and did the following - uninstalled the .exe install of
6.0.32, extracted the 64-bit zip, and copied my old "conf" folder back on top of the one that
the zip created.  Added the environment variable JAVA_HOME in Windows.  Ran startup.bat -
Tomcat tries to start, but Windows then pops up a message saying "Java(TM) Platform SE binary
has stopped working", and I am forced to click "close this program".

> Windows still notes an "Event 1000, Application Error" in its logs, and I get the following
error.  The "faulting application" this time is java.exe as opposed to tomcat6.exe (as it
was previously):

> Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 6.0.250.6, time stamp: 0x4da6a804
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
> Faulting process id: 0xa2c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0b2f6534c0ca
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: a2f45f74-7722-11e0-a592-005056a10003
>
> This error is the same (save for the version numbers and path differences) when using
JDK 6u24 and 6u25 64-bit.  I don't know if this helps at all, but here is the output from
startup.bat when running with 6u25:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp"
> Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25"
> Using CLASSPATH:       "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar"
>
> I'm still at a loss here.  Any ideas what this now points to?
>

> (Terence:  Haven't gotten there yet, as it is a new install.  I might end up trying that
at some point - what did you remove from the registry?)

> A suggestion to try to pin down the problem somewhere : let's run your Tomcat, not as
a Windows Service under the procrun daemon, but as a console application, directly from java.
> (If its a VM under VMware, then you have an easy console access, and you don't care if
you have to login and run tomcat in a command window, right ?)

> For that, you'll have to download a "full" tomcat zip-file (from the same place where
you got the .exe).  The zip file contains additional scripts allowing to start tomcat from
the command-line.
> You can unzip it in a new directory, or right over the one that's there.
> (You may want to save the contents of your "conf" sub-directory, and restore them after
the unzip).
> Then you should be able to navigate to the "bin" directory and start tomcat in the command
window (with "startup.bat"), without involving the tomcat6.exe.
> You will probably need to create a "setenv.bat" first, and set JAVA_HOME in it.
> I believe that all that is explained in the "running.txt" file that comes with it.
>
> If tomcat starts and stops consistently that way, then I would say that it is a strong
clue that procrun (tomcat6.exe) has something to do with the problem.

as that's what the app I am looking to install wants.  It worked fine then, but after the
stop/start, failed.  When Tomcat decided to finally come back to life earlier today after
a power down and a cold boot, I didn't set the heap size/MaxPermSize at all.  When I touched
the config and restarted, it died again.  Apparently whatever it is gets unstable after a
while.
>>>   >  >   Stefan:  Haven't thought of that yet, though we have VM's on the
same host running Win2k3 + Tomcat without a problem.
>>> Thank you to everyone that has contributed so far...
 in the tomcat6w.exe window to make sure that they make sense.
>>>   - Chuck
 MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received>  this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its>  attachments from all computers.

I don't remember the exact entries.  You might try searching for 'jre'
and/or 'java' and decide what to delete based on the data.  The
installation directory might also be a useful search point.  USE
CAUTION.  In my case, I was unable to successfully uninstall/re-install
the JRE until I performed this step.

-Terence Bandoian