tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 15:50:43 GMT
fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
> Andre:  I followed your idea and did the following - uninstalled the .exe install of
6.0.32, extracted the 64-bit zip, and copied my old "conf" folder back on top of the one that
the zip created.  Added the environment variable JAVA_HOME in Windows.  Ran startup.bat -
Tomcat tries to start, but Windows then pops up a message saying "Java(TM) Platform SE binary
has stopped working", and I am forced to click "close this program".

> Windows still notes an "Event 1000, Application Error" in its logs, and I get the following
error.  The "faulting application" this time is java.exe as opposed to tomcat6.exe (as it
was previously):

> Faulting application name: java.exe, version: 6.0.250.6, time stamp: 0x4da6a804
> Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 20.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x4da6d3c2
> Exception code: 0xc0000094
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000308eef
> Faulting process id: 0xa2c
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0b2f6534c0ca
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\bin\java.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
> Report Id: a2f45f74-7722-11e0-a592-005056a10003
>
> This error is the same (save for the version numbers and path differences) when using
JDK 6u24 and 6u25 64-bit.  I don't know if this helps at all, but here is the output from
startup.bat when running with 6u25:
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0"
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp"
> Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_25"
> Using CLASSPATH:       "c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin\bootstrap.jar"
>
> I'm still at a loss here.  Any ideas what this now points to?

Not really. But it definitely excludes procrun/tomcat6.exe as a source of the problem.
I also believe that it is unlikely that the same exact RAM addresses are being used in
your various tests, so this would also tend to reduce the possibility of a
hardware-related issue.

So far thus, it seems to point to either a problem in the JVM itself, or in something
which you particular setup is making the JVM do.

So let's try to change the JVM.
It should be possible, even under a 64-bit Windows, to install a 32-bit JVM, no ?
(and Tomcat will run the same as long as you do not use exotic Heap size values).
Install it at a different location than your current one, change the JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME

in your setenv.bat to point to this new JVM, and re-run the same test.