tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.32 on 64-bit 2008 server - "Event 1000, Application Error"
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 20:07:46 GMT
A suggestion to try to pin down the problem somewhere : let's run your Tomcat, not as a
Windows Service under the procrun daemon, but as a console application, directly from java.
(If its a VM under VMware, then you have an easy console access, and you don't care if you

have to login and run tomcat in a command window, right ?)

For that, you'll have to download a "full" tomcat zip-file (from the same place where you

got the .exe).  The zip file contains additional scripts allowing to start tomcat from the

command-line.
You can unzip it in a new directory, or right over the one that's there.
(You may want to save the contents of your "conf" sub-directory, and restore them after
the unzip).
Then you should be able to navigate to the "bin" directory and start tomcat in the command

window (with "startup.bat"), without involving the tomcat6.exe.
You will probably need to create a "setenv.bat" first, and set JAVA_HOME in it.
I believe that all that is explained in the "running.txt" file that comes with it.

If tomcat starts and stops consistently that way, then I would say that it is a strong
clue that procrun (tomcat6.exe) has something to do with the problem.

fsmaniac@netscape.net wrote:
> Chuck:  Before I encountered this, I had "Maximum memory pool" at 2048 (and -XX:MaxPermSize=256m),
as that's what the app I am looking to install wants.  It worked fine then, but after the
stop/start, failed.  When Tomcat decided to finally come back to life earlier today after
a power down and a cold boot, I didn't set the heap size/MaxPermSize at all.  When I touched
the config and restarted, it died again.  Apparently whatever it is gets unstable after a
while.