tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Async servlets and Tomcat 7 vs. mod_jk
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 21:49:39 GMT
What are the limitations/requirements of using asynchronous servlets in
Tomcat 7?

We use Apache and mod_jk to balance load over multiple Tomcats.  I note
that there is no NIO AJP connector -- only BIO and APR.  I have /no
/interest in the native APR connectors -- as it's simply /*far* /too
painful to produce 7 different native builds of this (some on platforms
with unbelievably horrific linkers).

What does this mean for us?  Does this mean asynchronous servlets won't
work for us?  Or that they'll "work", but we won't actually reduce the
thread usage in Tomcat at all?

In Apache, I note that there are noises about broader/better support for
the mod_event MPM worker.  Does mod_jk work with mod_event there to
reduce the threads required in Apache?

--
Jess Holle