tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mojk and utf8 charset problem
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 16:57:50 GMT
Thierry Templier wrote:
> Hello André,
>
> After having disabled compression at Apache level, things change a bit since now content
from database is correctly displayed using JSTL (<c:out value="(...)" escapeXml="false"/>)
but it's still not the case for content of JSP pages. I have however that at the beginning
of JSP pages: <%@page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"%>.

Logic would have it that, independently of what the server does,
- if you have the same browser at the client side
- if the HTTP response headers are the same in both cases
- if the response content is the same in both cases
then the browser should display the same thing.

And if it doesn't, then one of the above premises is wrong.

To my knowledge, there is no purpose-built mechanism in either the AJP Connector, or
mod_jk, to change the response content after it has been produced by the application.

There could be a bug somewhere however, in particular when talking about characters which

may need more than 2 bytes for a proper UTF-8 representation (and chunked encoding? that
may be a little-investigated area).
But if the received content is the same, then this also makes no sense.

Another test : what about using "wget" to retrieve one of your pages directly from tomcat

and then through Apache/mod_jk, saving the result as 2 files, and then comparing these
files with "diff" ?