tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: recovering connections on jdbc connection pool
Date Sun, 08 May 2011 16:22:08 GMT
Am Sonntag, den 08.05.2011, 12:29 -0300 schrieb alexis:
> Here's a snippet of my code, this method was with the described problem
>

> public void insertVDNInfo(VDNInfo vdns) throws SQLException {
Why do you want to throw a SQLException?

>         Calendar c = Calendar.getInstance();
>
>         Iterator<VDNInfo.VDN> it = vdns.getVdns().iterator();
Seems like you can use
 for (VDNInfo.VND v: vdns.getVdns()) {
 }
instead of x=y.iterator() combined with while(x.hasNext())
{ v=x.next(); }

>         Connection c1 = null;
>         Statement s1 = null;
>
>         try {
>             while (it.hasNext()) {
>                 c1 = getConnection();
Your getConnection method can return null, so you should guard against
it.

>                 s1 = c1.createStatement();
>                 VDNInfo.VDN v = it.next();
>
>                 String query = "INSERT INTO list.vdn VALUES ("
>                         + "'" + v.getName() + "'," + v.getExt() + "," + v.isVdnovr()
+ "," + v.getCor() + "," + v.getTn() + "," + v.getVecNum() + ",'" + v.getMeas() + "',"
>                         + v.isOrigAnnc() + "," + v.isEvntNotiAdj() + ",'" + sdfTimestamp.format(c.getTime())
+ "')";
You should read about SQL-injections and Prepared Statements. You can
declare the prepared statement outside of your loop and set the values
inside the loop.

>                 s1.execute(query);
>             }
>         } finally {
>             if (s1 != null) {
>                 s1.close();
>             }
if s1.close() throws an error you will not close c1, so you have to
catch that exception:
    if (s1!=null) { try { s1.close } catch (SQLException e) { // Ignore
or event better log
    };
>             s1 = null;
>             if (c1 != null) {
>                 c1.close();
catch the possible Exception
  if (c1!=null) { try {c1.close();} catch (SQLException e) { // Ignore
or log
 };

>             }
>             c1 = null;
>         }
>     }
>

> Objects are created like
>
>  private Connection getConnection() {
>         DataSource ds = null;
>         Connection c1 = null;
>         try {
>             ds = (DataSource) new InitialContext().lookup("java:/comp/env/jdbc/pgsql");
>             c1 = ds.getConnection();
>         } catch (NamingException ex) {
>             log.error("", ex);
Error messages should be a bit more meaningful than "".
>         } catch (SQLException ex) {
>             log.error("", ex);
>         }
>         return c1;
You will return null, if you have catched an Exception. Is that what you
want?
>     }
>

> what i can see different from the example on http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
is that the SQLException is now thrown but catched locally in the method.
That difference can be essential, as explained above.

> and here's my resource pool config
>

> <Context antiJARLocking="true" path="/xcall3">
>     <Resource
>     auth="Container"
>     driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>     maxActive="10"
>     maxIdle="3"
>     name="jdbc/pgsql"
>     password="xcall3"
>     type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>     url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost/xcall3"
>     username="xcall3"
>     validationQuery="select version();"
I think you should not place the ";" at the end of the statement.

>     maxWait = "5000"
>     />
>

> here's what logs the database
>
> 2011-05-07 23:02:25 ARTLOG:  execute <unnamed>: INSERT INTO list.vdn VALUES ('Atencion
a Clientes',7022,false,1,1,33,'int',false,false,'2011-05-07 23:02:25')
> 2011-05-07 23:02:25 ARTLOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> until i lose all my connections.
>
> here's what i got from the webapp log after that
>
> 2011-05-06 13:34:38,430 ERROR DAO:47 -
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, general error
>         at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:118)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:1044)
>         at com.lesi.xcall3.core.DAO.getConnection(DAO.java:43)
>         at com.lesi.xcall3.core.DAO.getSchedulerTasks(DAO.java:317)
>         at com.lesi.xcall3.core.Scheduler.run(Scheduler.java:35)
> Caused by: java.lang.InterruptedException
>         at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:1104)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:106)
>         ... 5 more
> Exception in thread "XCALL3-Scheduler" java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java.util.ArrayList.toArray(ArrayList.java:303)
>         at com.lesi.xcall3.core.DAO.getSchedulerTasks(DAO.java:384)
>         at com.lesi.xcall3.core.Scheduler.run(Scheduler.java:35)

Do you get any abandoned log entries, if you add the configuration
  removeAbandoned="true"
  removeAbandonedTimeout="60"

  logAbandoned="true"
to your resource?

Bye
 Felix

> On May 8, 2011, at 12:19 PM, Felix Schumacher wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, den 08.05.2011, 11:42 -0300 schrieb alexis:
> >> Hello all, is there any way to recover lost connectios on a pool?
> >>
> >> Here's the issue, for an application, using postgresql jdbc (same happens with
mysql as i tried), having query errors syntax or duplicated keys, actually no big deal, it
throws an sqlexception upon que sql error, as this call executes ~150 queries to insert, on
each query i lost the connection, so suddenly i have all my connections lost and my app useless.

> >> How can i do from the catch clause of the SQLException to ask the pool to reconnect?
Because today we are in debug stage but soon to be production and when this happens (we've
corrected a lot of queries and situations but for sure some new one will arise) we need to
restart the webapp.