tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: pure tomcat failover (no loadbalacing)
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:36:32 GMT
 On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:40:59 +0100, Guillaume Favier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 tomcat 5.5 server. Each of them handling a set (50+) of
> third party
> webapps name /ABC* and /DEF*.
> Each of these webapp is quite memory consumming when started (more
> than
> 300M).
> I would like all connection to ABC* webapps be handled by tomcat
> server 1,
> and connection to webapps DEF* to be handled by tomcat server 2.
>
> My objectives are :
> * server 1 to be failover of server2 and server2 failover of server1.
> * any webapp should be instanciate on only one server otherwise it
> might
> trigger a memory overload
>
> So I set up my httpd.conf as is :
>
> JkWorkersFile "conf/worker.properties"
>   JkOptions +ForwardKeySize +ForwardURICompat
>

> and my worker.properties as is :
>
> worker.list = failover
>
> # ------------------------
> # template
> # ------------------------
> worker.template.type=ajp13
> worker.template.lbfactor=1
> worker.template.connection_pool_timeout=600
> worker.template.socket_timeout=1000
> worker.template.fail_on_status=500
>
> # ------------------------
> # tomcat1
> # ------------------------
> worker.tomcat1.reference=worker.template
> worker.tomcat1.port=9001
> worker.tomcat1.host=localhost
> worker.tomcat1.mount=/ABC* /ABC/*
>  worker.tomcat1.redirect=failover
>
> # ------------------------
> # tomcat2
> # ------------------------
> worker.tomcat2.reference=worker.template
> worker.tomcat2.port=9002
> worker.tomcat2.host=localhost
> worker.tomcat1.mount=/DEF* /DEF/*
                ^ is this correct or a typo?
> worker.tomcat2.redirect=failover
>

> # ------------------------
> # failover
> # ------------------------
> worker.failover.type=lb
> worker.failover.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2
>
> The jvmroute is set in both server.xml.
>
> Previously I had put the jkMount directive in httpd.conf, but I
> could'nt
> make the failover work. So I move it in the worker.properties.
> Tomcat doesn't seem to take into account the jkmount directive from
> the
> worker.properties : a webapp is started indifrently on any server.
 Tomcat starts all webapps it can find, not only those you specified by
 a jk mount. Servlets will
 only start, if you specify a startup order, or trigger a request to a
 servlet.

 So I don't think it is possible to prevent a webapp from starting in
 the "failover" tomcat. But it
 should be possible to limit its memory footprint.

 That said, I find it strange, that you define a special failover worker
 instead of a direct redirect like

 worker.tomcat1.redirect=tomcat2
 worker.tomcat2.redirect=tomcat1

 Bye