tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <peter.crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject Re: How to limit tomcats thread consumption?
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 11:04:40 GMT
On 4 April 2011 18:29, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Michael Jerger wrote:
>
>> last days I leased a virtual host at 1und1 (a german hoster).
>> Unfortunately 1und1 found a new, creative  way to limit the joy of using
>> their VPH - they limit the number of operating-system processes to 256
>> processes in total.
>>

> a) are you sure ? Since, commercially speaking, I can't imagine what
> benefit they would get from this (as opposed to e.g. limiting the amount of
> RAM or disk space), I tend to have a doubt.
>
> Doesn't surprise me at all.  I've moved completely off 1and1; I found them
an incredibly low-quality provider who quietly limited many areas of
functionality.  I've used Memset in the UK for the last 2 years and have so
far been very impressed.

André, the commercial benefit to 1and1 is summarised in the following
conversation:

Techie: "We've run out of threads, and it'll take days to migrate our
application off 1and1."
Money person: "What can we do?"
Techie: "Pay 1and1 more money for a bigger machine."
Money person: "Erm... OK."

- Peter