tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Janner <Jeffrey.Jan...@PolyDyne.com>
Subject RE: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:11:21 GMT

And your reading of the word "recommended" comes from this point of view, i.e. that of a person
whose job it is to apply meticulous, dictionary-based interpretations to every word.  You
have completed missed the context in which the word was used -- that of an article aimed at
computer geeks.  Most of us know the implied meaning of the word "recommended" in this context,
which is:

If you want the least amount of trouble getting this to work, you will use this version.
Yes the other will probably work, but you might experience some issues (headaches) in getting
it to work correctly without some additional effort.

In fact, that statement is exactly true for Tomcat.  Because Tomcat is Java-based, it will
work no matter which file you download, either the tarball or the zip archive.  You can download
the tarball for your Windows system and all the files will be there, but you might have a
little difficulty extracting them if you don't have a Windows-based version of tar (is there
one?). So in this case, the recommended download is the zip file, since modern windows has
a built-in unzip utility.

In fact, "recommended" has been a common term, used as above, in the computer industry for
decades.  Look at the "Recommended Configuration" for any software package.  Some things might
be listed as "required" but most will be listed as "recommended".  We computer jockeys are
adept at reading the implied meanings in those specs.

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or
telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.